If you have a spare 30 minutes over your reading week to watch this video, definitely do!
Relevant to many of the topics we’ve touched on in this class, this video investigates the mobile love industry and the impact that has had on the way we meet people, fall in love, and have sex.
Here are some of the points that interested me:
- It is estimated that by 2040 that 70% of all couples would have met online
- The origins of online / mobile dating go back to the Victorian Era where people would use “Lonely Hearts Ads“
- The VP of Tech at Tinder infers that mobile dating technologies have contributed to the decline of divorce rates in North America
- “The Internet reconfigures accessibility…Dating apps are a shift towards the normalization of gay people. That shift is to make people feel included, valued, and not an other.”
- Sexual double standards – translated over to dating apps?
- With mobile dating apps, “We view ourselves as single individuals connected to other single individuals.”
- Apps like 3nder are being used to de-stigmatize kinky sex and group sex
- What will happen when review mechanisms used on eBay or Amazon come to dating sites?
I would love for you to watch the video and see what your take is on the above points!
Happy reading week!